National Chef of the Year 2017
This year’s Restaurant Show at Olympia London, saw not only more that 450 suppliers within the food and drink industry all under one roof; but it also held the annual Craft Guild of Chefs’ National Chef of the Year competition on Tuesday 3rd October.
Judged by top chefs including Clifton customers Tom Kerridge, Simon Hulstone and Gary Jones; they had their work cut out for them and their forks full, as they were set to taste and decide who would be 2018’s National Chef of the Year.
The finalists of the prestigious National award were:
- Will Holland, Executive Chef of The Atlantic Hotel, Jersey
- Simon Webb, Head Chef of Langham Hotel, London
- Ben Champkin, Sous Chef at L’Enclume Restaurant, Cumbria
- David Davey-Smith, Chef at the Royal Air Force, Worthy Down
- Kuba Winkowski, Head Chef at The Feathered Nest Inn, Cotswolds
- Luke Selby, Former Head Chef of Dabbous, London
- Dean Westcar, Head Chef, Restaurant Hywel Jones, Lucknam Park, Chippenham
- Adam Thomason, Head Chef at Restaurant-Associates – Deloitte, London
- Thomas Westerland, Sous Chef at Lucknam Park, Chippenham
- Karl O’Dell, Senior Sous Chef at Petrus of Gordan Ramsay, London
The finalists were tasked with creating a 3 course menu using seafood within their starter, venison as the main, then for dessert, the chefs had to use the Great British apple; not only that, but they had to create four plated dishes per course. 12 dishes in 3 hours.
After some excellent looking dishes were tasted by the array of top chef judges, the winners were announced with hundreds of people watching through social media channels, as well as the large crowd gathering at the event in Olympia on Tuesday evening 3rd October.
The winners announced were –
Luke Selby ~ crowned National Chef of the Year 2018
Adam Thomason ~ 2nd place
Simon Webb ~ 3rd place
We’d like to give huge congratulations to everyone involved in National Chef of the Year! Well done chefs, all the dishes looked fantastic!